Production of innovative dairy drinks based on co-products of cheese manufacturing
Current situation requiring improvements
- Whey, a by-product of cheese production, is not sufficiently exploited.
- Small producers need to generate revenue from whey. However, collection is difficult as they are often isolated
- Small producers cannot afford the installation of bottling lines needed to produce whey-based drinks.
Main activities in FAIRCHAIN
- Use whey to develop valuable products, in particular healthy whey-based drinks.
- Bring a zero-waste aspect to the distribution of fresh/room temperature liquid products.
More than 30 participants representing milk, fruit and vegetable producers, processors, distributors, consumers and other stakeholders from eastern France discussed the opportunities and difficulties in using one of the major co-products of small and medium-sized...